Monday, April 9, 2007

Remake blasphemy

Well, I've been trying to convince myself that news of the latest in a long string of Hollywood remakes was merely speculation. However, after reading on cinematical.com, that production on The Birds remake aims to begin by the end of the year. I'm distraught knowing this because Hitchcock is one of my favorite filmmakers, and The Birds is a classic. One of the best things about watching the film is the use of real and stuffed birds. I can see already the use of cgi birds in the remake and cringe, this is one instance where new filmmaking techniques don't need to be applied.

Sure, in many films computer generation can create environments, stunts, and action that couldn't normally take place and the film is better for it. However, in classics, such at The Birds, the authenticity and attraction of the original can never be achieved by new techniques. I sincerely hope that if they must remake this film, that they use as little cgi as possible, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

No comments: